Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is one of the most common diseases found in women who are in the reproductive age. Women suffering from this syndrome usually face irregular menstrual periods, and are also known to have an abnormally high level of androgen (male hormones) in their bodies. Their ovaries start developing tiny collection of cysts, leading to a difficulty in releasing eggs regularly. PCOS has become one of the most common reasons of infertility among women. It is difficult to detect the exact cause of this disease but early diagnosis, along with proper treatment, can lower the risk of future health complications such as heart disease and diabetes.
A few causes of PCOS
- High insulin-level: Excess insulin in the body can cause blood sugar levels to rise. It could also lead to rapid production of the male hormone called androgen which ultimately affects ovulation.
- Heredity: According to research, certain hereditary genes may be the cause of PCOS.
- Excess androgen level: The ovaries of women suffering from PCOS tend to produce androgen in an abnormally high level, causing acne and other problems.
Treatment for PCOS
While PCOS does not have any definite cure at present, it can be managed with the help of medications, supplements and of course, routine check-ups. If you visit any top gynaecologist in Kolkata, they will prescribe you certain medications, and also recommend a few healthy changes in your lifestyle. A few ways in which you can treat the hormonal imbalances are:
- Regular exercise: Exercising on a daily basis will make sure to keep your weight in check. Shedding even a few extra pounds will help you in preventing irregular periods and infertility. Apart from this, it is also advisable to visit the best gynaecologist in Kolkata in case you are finding it hard to conceive.
- Following a balanced diet: Healthy eating is probably the single most important treatment for those suffering from PCOS. Any top gynaecologist in Kolkata will stress on the consumption of whole foods that are free from artificial sugars and preservatives. They are usually available in a natural and unprocessed state and help in regulating blood sugar. Fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes are a few such whole foods that constitute a balanced diet.
- Maintaining proper sleep hygiene: It has been found that a healthy sleep routine (8-10 hours of sleep every night) can help in reducing stress and regulating cortisol hormones that prevent hormonal imbalance.
In case you are planning to try out the above natural treatments, make sure to sit with the best gynaecologist in Kolkata and work out a treatment plan.