Vaginal Hysterectomy surgical procedure is performed vaginally, which means the uterus is removed through the female vagina. Bariatric surgeons meticulously detach and remove the uterus from the fallopian tubes, ovaries, upper vagina and the connective tissues and blood vessels. Once the uterus is disconnected from its adjoining organs, it is removed through the vagina.
Vaginal Hysterectomy is a type of vaginal procedure that involves removal of the uterus through the vagina. During a Vaginal Hysterectomy procedure, the surgeon operates to detach the uterus from the fallopian tubes, ovaries and upper vagina. Once the uterus is disconnected from the surrounding organs and tissues, it is removed through the vagina.
While traditional hysterectomy procedure uses incisions in the abdomen, modern laparoscopic hysterectomies help remove the uterus through the vagina with a much easier and quicker process. As per the best gynaecologists, the reasons for Vaginal Hysterectomy are uterine fibroids, excessive bleeding, severe pain, uterine prolapse, uterine cancer, ovaries or cervix.
A woman cannot become pregnant after Vaginal Hysterectomy surgery. Besides, she won’t have menstrual periods since the uterus is removed. If required, the surgeon may remove the patient’s ovaries and fallopian tubes as well. There are some procedures to be followed before the treatment in order to help the patient undergo the surgery smoothly.
Before the Treatment
Before treatment of Vaginal Hysterectomy, the patient should take a few measures as advised by the top gynaecologists.
- She should talk to the doctor and be informed about the details of the procedure, recovery and well being. Also, the patient must inform the doctor about the types of medicines she is taking and any medical issues she is suffering from, which will be treated by the gynaecologist as well.
- Smoking and drinking is strictly barred before and after the surgery. You must know that smoking enhances chances of blood or chest problems, heart risk during or after operation.
- You must talk to your anaesthesiologist and discuss about the several anaesthetic options.
- Usually, patients are advised not to eat or drink anything from midnight, the night prior to the operation. Also, most of them undergo various tests to assess the overall health.
- In case of vaginal Hysterectomy, patients are admitted early in the morning on the day of the surgery. Know this that Vaginal Hysterectomy surgery is performed either using general or regional anaesthesia. A needle attached to IV is pierced through the patient’s arm or wrist. Also, a urinary catherter is connected to her bladder for drainage of urine. Once all done, the patient is ready to undergo the procedure.
How it is performed?
The procedure does not require any incisions to be made in the abdomen, yet patients are administered general anaesthesia. Sometimes, an epidural is given in place of general anaesthesia. Then, the following steps are followed:
- Two tubes are inserted through the mouth, while one helps the patient to breathe, the other removes gas from the stomach. The tubes are inserted and removed in and from the mouth while the patient is asleep. Compression stockings are sometimes used to prevent any kind of blood clotting in the legs.
- Surgeons use a few long instruments to place through the vaginal incision in order to detach the uterus from the surrounding tissues and organs like connective blood vessels and tissues, ovaries, upper vagina and the fallopian tubes. Then, the gynaecologist gently removes the uterus through the vagina. Sometimes, many doctors prefer using a laparoscope to make the procedure safer, easier and faster. The time required for Vaginal Hysterectomy surgery is maximum two to three hours. Nowadays, dissolvable stitches are used to help close the incisions.
After the surgery, patients are generally offered some fluids or foods. Generally, on the first day intravenous fluids are administered on patients. Also, pain medicines are given according to the requirement of the patient’s health. The recovery time of Vaginal Hysterectomy can take several weeks to a month. Post surgery, the patient is discharged after a few days. Sometimes, patients are allowed to go on the same day of the surgery. The best part is Vaginal Hysterectomy procedure is trouble free and easy.
Leave A Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.